- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
Wake up and wow the family with a breakfast casserole cooked on the Big Green Egg. It’s perfect for a lazy Saturday morning, holiday brunch, or just anytime you don’t feel like cooking breakfast indoors. It’s simple, straightforward, and delicious.
The pizza stone is optional for this cook, but will help create a more even bake. Also, feel free to experiment with the ingredients. If you have a great breakfast casserole dish, then let us know!
- Nonstick Cooking Spray - As Needed
- Ground Maple Pork Sausage - 1 lb.
- Soft Hearty White Bread - 6 Slices
- Shredded Triple Cheddar Cheese - 8 ounces
- Large Eggs - 8
- Whole Milk - 2 Cups
- Dry Mustard - 1 Teaspoon
- Salt - ¼ Teaspoon
- Seasoned Pepper - ½ Teaspoon
- Heat the Big Green Egg to 350° F.
- Spray a 13 in. x 9 in. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes; drain well on paper towels.
- Cut and discard the crusts from the bread. Cut the slices in half, and arrange in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, cutting pieces to fit as necessary to cover the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with the sausage and cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, seasoned salt and pepper; carefully pour the mixture over the cheese.
- Bake casserole until set and golden, about 40 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.