- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2h 00 min
Beer Can Chicken
A beer can and the Big Green Egg can take your classic roasted chicken to the next level. The beer keeps the chicken moist while the Big Green Egg gives a great flavor and an all over crispy skin that everyone loves. We recommend having two beers for this recipe, one for the chicken and one for you.
- Whole Chicken - 4-5 lbs.
- Beer of your choice - 1 - 12oz. Can
- Garlic - 4 Cloves Peeled
- Butter - 1 Stick Softened
- Salt - As Needed
- Pepper - As Needed
- John Henry's Mojave Garlic - As Needed
- John Henry's Hickory with Lemon - As Needed
- Small Potato - 1
- Heat the Big Green Egg to 400°F.
- Pour out (or drink) about half of a 12oz. beer, add the four cloves of garlic, and set it inside the rack. Place the beer can chicken rack inside the drip pan.
- Clean and rinse the whole chicken with cold water, removing neck and giblets from the inside and pat dry.
- Season the inside of the chicken liberally with John Henry's Mojave Garlic and John Henry's Hickory with Lemon.
- Place the chicken over the beer can chicken rack and beer can.
- Mix butter and seasonings and spread over the entire chicken. Stick a small potato (you could also use a piece of onion) in the neck cavity of the chicken to seal in the steam from the beer.
- Place the drip pan with the beer can chicken rack and chicken on the Big Green Egg.
- Cook for 1 - 2 hours until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 180°F. Cook time will vary with the size of the chicken.
- When done, carefully transfer the entire rack in it's upright position to a platter. Remove chicken from rack and serve.